by Dulles Moms | July 6, 2008 7:01 pm
By Michael Blaiss, MD, US News & World Report
Peanut allergy is a common, growing problem for children, with studies suggesting more than 2% of children, or 1.6 million kids, have this life-threatening condition. A US study conducted in 2015-16 showed that more than 40% of children with peanut allergy have been treated in the emergency department for reactions to peanuts, with 20% having been in the ED for care in the last year of the study.
Currently, there is no Food and Drug Administration-approved treatment for peanut allergy. According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, anyone with a peanut allergy must avoid peanut products and always carry an epinephrine autoinjector in case of an accidental exposure that leads to allergic symptoms.
You may have seen or heard news reports on new treatments for people with peanut allergy that may soon be FDA-approved for use in the US One of the most promising therapies for children is peanut oral immunotherapy…moreRead More
Previous: Child Drownings Linked to Phone-Distracted Parents Who Fail to Look Up
Next: Case Dismissed Against Mom Who Let Her Toddler Pee in Parking Lot
DullesMoms.com is not the author of this content. All authors and sources are cited with links back to the original source. We’re sharing because we think it’s important, relevant, and share-worthy to moms, dads, and families!
Source URL: https://dullesmoms.com/peanut-oral-immunotherapy-what-to-know/
Copyright ©2020 DullesMoms.com unless otherwise noted.