by DullesMoms | March 31, 2011 1:17 pm
<< More From Moss Building & Design
Dear Moss Building & Design,
What should I do to ensure my home’s efficiency now that spring has arrived and temperatures begin to rise?
Dear Dulles Mom,
We have a few home improvement tips for both the inside and outside of your home to ensure that your house is comfortable, safe, and cool during the spring!
Internal Home Tips:
1. At the start of spring, turn your ceiling fan blades, so they are running (slowly) in a counter-clockwise direction so that cool air is better circulated. There is a switch at the fan base that will allow you to change the fan rotation.
2. Check the caulking and weather stripping around the doors and windows in your home. During cold winters, the stripping can crack or even break, causing the doors and windows to close less securely.
External Home Tips:
1. Perform an exterior check of your home foundation to look for hairline cracks or settling that might have occurred.
2. Carefully check your HVAC unit. In addition to checking the unit internally and externally, you should change the filter if necessary, check for leaks/bad hose connections, and make sure drainage occurs properly. Also, make sure you clean any dust that has settled in or on the unit — this can entirely change the unit’s efficiency.
3, Check your deck for any water damage after an especially wet winter and rainy early spring. Carefully inspect for water damage where the deck meets the house as this can cause structural damage.
4. Check automatic garage doors each spring to make sure they are balanced.
5. Clear the gutters of your home! Clogged gutters can lead to a host of issues, especially leaking.
6. Carefully inspect your attic for any leaks that might have occurred, especially in the areas around the chimney and any skylights.
For more seasonal home care tips, check out our website!
Moss Building & Design is the top home remodeling company in Northern Virginia that has established a reputation for excellence in remodeling additions, kitchens, bathrooms, and basements and providing home services for homeowners. With a strong focus on community, Moss Building and Design encourages a hands-on approach to home improvement with an emphasis on education. Their ‘Girls Night Out’ HandyMOM101 events offer DIY workshops covering projects like tiling, power drills, caulking, and patching drywall.
Connect with them by visiting them online, or get social with them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Moss Building & Design can also be reached at (703) 961-7707.
Source URL: https://dullesmoms.com/spring-cleaning-tips-keeping-home-tip-top-shape/
Copyright ©2022 DullesMoms.com unless otherwise noted.