Dear Dr. Barakat,
My kids are 6- and 8-years-old. Is there something I should be looking for that would indicate an issue or that their bites aren’t quite right?
Dear Concerned Parent,
It’s not always easy to tell when your child has an orthodontic problem. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite, which is why it is important to have your child evaluated. Some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention are the following:
• Early or late loss of baby teeth
• Difficulty in chewing or biting
• Breathing through the mouth
• Excessive thumb-sucking
• Crowded, misplaced, or blocked-out teeth
• Jaws that are too forward or backward
• Biting the cheek or into the roof of the mouth
• Protruding teeth
• Upper and lower teeth that don’t meet or meet in an abnormal way
• An unbalanced facial appearance
• Grinding or clenching of teeth
As a parent, she understands wanting the best for your children by giving them beautiful, confident smiles. She makes it a priority to ensure optimal results, but also believes that each patient’s experience during treatment is just as important as the clinical result. As the 2015-16 President of the Virginia Association of Orthodontists, Dr. Barakat’s dedication and expertise reflect why her peers continue to nominate her as a Top Dentist.
Barakat Orthodontics is located at 45745 Nokes Blvd., Ste. 175, Sterling, VA 20166. Connect by visiting them online, or get social with them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Barakat Orthodontics can also be reached at (703) 433-9330.